In May of 2013, I decided I would audition for the Wisconsin Singers. During my freshman year of college, I realized how much I missed music and performance as part of my life and knew I wanted to get more involved at the university to make the campus feel a little bit smaller. Those were my top two (really my only) reasons for auditioning. I was thrilled when I was offered a spot in the troupe, but I really didn’t have any idea what I was getting into. Little did I know how many benefits there would be to joining the Singers!
If you are considering auditioning and need a little encouragement, or have already signed up and want confirmation you made the right choice, look no further! We have compiled for you the top fifteen reasons to audition for the Wisconsin Singers.
- Class credit
- Scholarship dollars
- Spring break in Daytona Beach, FL
- Frequent Culver’s stops (fun fact: I was able to buy 4 free kids meals with all the Scoopie tokens I collected from my time in Singers)
- Opportunity to work with professionals in the industry
- Grow as a performer with exposure to many genres of music and styles of dance from different eras
- Grow as a leader on and off the stage
- Lifelong friendships
- Help to raise money for arts programs
- Encourage middle and high schoolers to pursue their passions, even if they don’t study music
- Incredible network of alumni who will support you in Singers and out in the world
- Work in various theaters and venues across the state and country
- Opportunity to perform almost every weekend during spring semester (unless you pursue performing professionally, this is a really rare thing to be able to do!)
- Perform with some of UW Madison’s most talented musicians, singers, and dancers
- Memories to last a lifetime!
Even before you get to all the great benefits of being a part of Singers, the audition itself holds so much value. I walked away from my audition feeling two things. One, that I really wanted to be a part of this group and two, even if I didn’t get in, I had just had a really fun day and awesome audition experience under my belt. You get the feeling of FAMILY as soon as you walk in the door. You get a constructive experience that helps prepare you for other future auditions. And you have so much fun in the process!
No matter what, the audition panel wants you to do well, have a good time, learn something, and get an idea of what Singers is like. What more encouragement do you need to audition than that??